Monday, December 22, 2008

Christmas came early

Merry Christmas everyone! We celebrated Christmas early this year because we are headed to West Virginia on Christmas eve to be with family. Celebrating Christmas should really be happening the entire season shouldn't it? The actual day of Christmas- December 25- is just another day! It becomes more sacred because that's when people have time off of work and it's the declared national holiday, but really December 25 is just another day! I've had to have this attitude each year that I've been asked to work on Christmas eve or Christmas day. Such as this year when I have to work on Christmas eve. Since I've been a nurse, nearly 8 years, I think there has only been a couple of years that I didn't have to work on this holiday. It's the one that everyone wants off, but never gets. And if you aren't working on the holiday, you have to be there the day before or the day after. It's just the nature of this particular beast. I always think it's worse for the patients to have to be there and be sick on Christmas than it is for me to be working. At least I get to go be home with my family at the end of the shift.


Anyway, because of these factors, I've gotten used to the idea that Christmas can actually be celebrated at any time during the season. Our tradition is to open gifts in the morning, so whenever we choose and plan to celebrate Christmas we create the same excited spirit for opening gifts and being together in the morning. This year was no different. Last Friday night Eric and I stayed up after the kids were in bed and wrapped their presents while watching A Christmas Story--which we agreed as we do every year that few other movies are as classic and funny as this one. It was so fun!

Once the gifts were all placed under the tree, we went to bed in as much anticipation as the kids. There wasn't one surprise that awaited us under the tree. This year, we shopped for eachother together. But the pure joy that comes from watching the kids get so excited about their gifts is absolutely priceless! And it was!!!!


One of the greatest moments was when Anna opened her "big" gift--an 18 in. singing Disney Princess Aurora (Sleeping Beauty). She hugged the box that it was securely packaged in and came over to me and said, "Mommy, Jesus brought me this." I knew right away that she was refering to the discussion we had had as a family the night before when we read the story of Christ's birth out the Bible and discussed the important difference between celebrating Christmas with presents and celebrating Jesus, without whom many of the blessings and things that we have would not be possible. It was so special and so sweet!

Much to our pleasant surprise, each child was so well behaved and genuinely excited for the others as they opened their gifts. Even Alissa at nearly 3 years old, new when to ask, "Is it my turn to open another one?" What a delightful Christmas we had! For the time we've had our family in full (nearly 3 years), this goes down as the best Christmas yet!


I am so thankful for my unbelievably loving and generous husband and my three joyful and energetic kids! Merry Christmas to you all, whenever you choose to celebrate!

1 comment:

  1. Merry Christmas!
    We are very used to celebrating Christmas not on the 25th. I like celebrating it many days through-out the holiday season. It's almost sad to do it all in one day!

    Safe travels!
    Amber :)

    ReplyDelete