Thursday, March 19, 2009

Romans 7:15

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do."

This is the verse that fits my spirit today. I've really done a pretty good job of developing this disciplined life of eating and exercise. I've coined it my lifestyle change because that is what I intend for it to be. And I can tell that my body is adjusting happily to the change. It's my mind that is resisting the change. And I'm having one of those days that I'm finding it much easier to give in to my mind's desire than my actual physical desire.

I was down and out this morning after eating a terribly unhealthy meal last night...fried fish, mashed potatoes and a big fat milkshake from Culver's!!! YUM! For me, all it takes is a hitch in the road like that mixed with a defeatest attitude and I'm done. And I felt like throwing in the towel this morning.
My beloved husband tried his best to solve my problem and I resisted him like anything. I didn't feel that i wanted fixed...not yet! Then i got the faithful text message from my dad. And I knew this was going to be okay. This time I needed to hear his voice.
So after a pep talk on the phone and the challenge to get on the elliptical before anymore of the day passed, I felt at least a little better. Enough to drag myself onto the machine for a workout.

I hate hitches in the road, but I know they will come. I spent the morning making excuses. When my workout was complete, I got out the Word and intentionally found this verse. Then i read the study notes:
"this is more than the cry of one desperate man- it describes the experience of any Christian struggling against sin or trying to please God by keeping rules and laws without the Spirit's help..."

So true. I had also listened to more of Beth Moore's "Get Out of That Pit" while I was exercising and again the words spoke right to my heart. The Spirit has shown up to get me through this day and the many to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment